MODEL HALL OF FAME - Visual History - Vintage Fashion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MODEL HALL OF FAME - Visual History - Vintage Fashion

Oral and Visual History Initiative MMM60s MODEL HISTORY and VINTAGE FASHION

HomeLog inRegisterSearchLatest images
Click> HOME
HOME PAGE
Linda’s MEMOIRS

Breck girls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cpn_stoner

Breck girls Empty
PostBreck girls

Wouldn't it be nice to have scans of the Breck models, such as this one of Veronica Hamel? Are there others available here? This would seem an appropriate addition to the "60s Ad Campaigns - Our Favorite Ads."
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Breck girls :: Comments

Re: Breck girls
Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 am by joanmtv
yes it would.....Kim Basinger got her start in modelling as a breck girl....joan
NEW Breck Album
Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:18 pm by MMM60s-SC
Hi cpn_stoner and Joan,

Thank you for suggesting a separate Breck sub-album under the 60s Ad Campaigns - Our Favorite Ads album. I'm sorry it has taken so long, but it's finally here! The Breck ads had previously been part of the Hair Care sub-album under the Other 60s Beauty Ads album, including these of Veronica Hamel and Joan Thompson:

Breck girls Breck_1964_Veronica_Hamel
Veronica Hamel 1964

Breck girls Breck_1970_Joan_Thompson
Joan Thompson 1970

The other models currently in the album are:
Joan Paulson 1963
Cheryl Tiegs 1967
Sally Murdoch 1968
Cybill Shepherd 1969
Helevi Keko 1971
Maud Adams 1971
Lucy Angle 1971

Cybill Shepherd's ad was published soon after she won the 1968 Model of the Year contest:

Breck girls Breck_1969_Cybill_Shepherd
Cybill Shepherd 1969

We'd love to have more ads for the album, especially the one of Kim Basinger that Joan mentioned.

*~Susan~*
NEW Breck Ad: "The Discotheque Set"
Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 pm by MMM60s-SC
Here's the latest addition to the new Breck sub-album, which can be found in the 60s Ad Campaigns album. "The Discotheque Set" stays in place even while you're doing the Frug, the Hully Gully or the Watusi!

Breck girls Breck_1965_Nov_17_p73
Breck Ad - November 1965 Seventeen magazine
MMM60s-LM
Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:32 pm by MMM60s-LM
Someone has deleted the album. Thank God we have backups except for the last week or 10 days. So everything will be up to par soon.
Breck Album Completed!
Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:55 pm by MMM60s-SC
The Breck sub-album has been completed and is back in the Ad Campaigns album! Included is a new 1974 ad of Jaclyn Smith before she starred in Charlie's Angels:

Breck girls Breck_1974_Sep_17_p8_JaclynSmith
September 1974 Seventeen magazine

All the information about the ads and more of the deleted ads will be uploaded over the next few days.

Plus, BRAND NEW ADS will be posted every day. Click "View Latest Updates" on the Gallery Homepage to check them out!
Kim Basinger's 1974 Breck Ad
Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:45 pm by MMM60s-SC
Thank you so much, mkollar, for contributing this 1974 Breck ad featuring Kim Basinger that we had been searching for! I really didn't know if anyone would find it. The ad notes that the future actress is originally from Athens, Georgia:

Breck girls Breck_1974_Kim_Basinger_Athens_Geor

Thank you for your 1974 Cover Girl ad, too!

*~Susan~*
Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:01 am by Barry4Beauty
Hi,
I've added a Breck ad of Kim Basinger and her mother, Ann, from the back cover of the Sept. 1971 Glamour to the "Members Contributions" album. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to make the image appear here.
Barry

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 am by MMM60s-SC
Thank you so much, Barry! I moved your ad to the Breck sub-album and gave you credit.

Breck girls Breck_1971_Sep_Glamour_KimBasinger_
Ann and Kim Basinger - September 1971 Glamour Magazine

The instructions for posting images can be found in General Messages :: How to Add Pictures to This Forum (Dec. 10, 2008). If you get stuck, just let us know.

*~Susan Camp~*
Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 am by Barry4Beauty
Hi,
I've added another Breck bride—Pat Dow, Vogue Dec.1971—to the "Members Contributions" album.
If someone could explain how to make that photo show up here, I would much appreciate.
Thanks, Barry
MMM60s-LM
Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 am by MMM60s-LM
It is funny because of course they were so airbrushed that they were
actually paintings, idealized versions of beauty. When we modeled there
was very little retouching, but now so many of the ads we see are
almost as unrealistic as these Breck Girls.
Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 pm by MMM60s-SC
Thanks again, Barry! It's great to have another beautiful bride ad in the Breck sub-album.

Breck girls Breck_Patricia_Dow_VogueDec71
Patricia Dow - December 1971 Vogue Magazine

*~Susan~*
Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 pm by Barry4Beauty
Hi Linda and Susan,

They were actual paintings...not just heavily retouched photos. At least some of the "Breck Girl" ads were pastel drawings or paintings, based on photographs of the models.

I observed this being done, back in the 70s when I was an ad agency art director. I think Mr. Ralph William Williams, the "Breck Girl" artist, had died. So the ads were subsequently done by other artists in a similar style. Although Breck was not our account (we had a different shampoo), one of the agency's comp artists had a freelance job doing the art for the "Breck Girl" ads. He worked from a photograph of the model as a reference, and did his illustration from that.

Its sort of a lovely link to the golden age of illustration, when models were posing for, and inspiring, illustrators.

On a related note, there's a beautiful show of fashion illustration, "The Line of Fashion", currently (until May 2) at the Society of Illustrators on East 63rd St. in NYC. Admission is FREE, and a few of the faces in the artwork on display will be familiar to members of this group.

Regards,
Barry Weinbaum
MMM60s-LM
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm by MMM60s-LM
Barry, thank you so much for that information. i had wanted to be a fashion illustrator when I was in school. I received a full scholarship to FIT for that purose, when i was side-tracked by a modeling career. I will certainly check out the exhibit.

i am wondering if you are on Facebook? My former miniMadMOD60s group had moved over to Facebook where I now have a very interactive network of over 100 former supermodels, as well as photographers, hair and make-up artists and agents. I am also working on tthe Supermodels Hall of Fame which is having a preliminary on Facebook. I will send you an invitation. i am sure you will find many of your old friends and peers on it.
Post  by Sponsored content

Breck girls

Page 1 of 1