MODEL HALL OF FAME - Visual History - Vintage Fashion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MODEL HALL OF FAME - Visual History - Vintage Fashion

Oral and Visual History Initiative MMM60s MODEL HISTORY and VINTAGE FASHION

HomeLog inRegisterSearchLatest images
Click> HOME
HOME PAGE
Linda’s MEMOIRS

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MMM60s-SC

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Empty
PostColleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model

The careers of some models lasted only a few years, while others worked steadily for over a decade. These successful models were able to smoothly make the transition from one division to the next as they themselves grew and matured.

Colleen Corby was one of the most popular teen models of the 1960s...
http://www.minimadmod60s.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4543

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1964_Apr_17_Cover_CarmenSchiavone
April 1964 Seventeen Magazine
Photographer: Carmen Schiavone

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1964_Apr_Coed_Cover
April 1964 Co-ed Magazine

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1965_Feb_TEEN_Cover
February 1965 'TEEN Magazine

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1965_Apr_Ingenue_Cover
April 1965 Ingenue Magazine

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_Colleen_1966_Jan_In_FC
January 1966 in Magazine

...who went on to do high fashion work in the 1970s:

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1973_Nov_Bazaar_123_BlackDress_NealBarr
November 1973 Bazaar Magazine
Photographer: Neal Barr

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1973_Nov_Bazaar_124_BlackDress_NealBarr

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1973_Nov_Bazaar_128_BlackPJs_NealBarr

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1973_Model_Composite_Card_NealBarr
1973 Model Composite Card

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model Blog_ColleenC_1976_Ford_Model_Composite_Card
1976 Ford Model Composite Card

Susan Camp
Senior Editor & Archivist

Last edited by MMM60s-SC on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model :: Comments

Re: Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:08 pm by RanmaSenshi
Hi Susan. Are you positive that the last two photos are from 1973 and 1976? I ask because that 1973 photo was used in a 1978 National Enquirer article. It seems a little odd that they would use a photo from 1973 when a later one (the 1976) is available. And her face looks the same on both cards. That makes me think they are both part of the same composite and not from separate years.
MMM60s-LM
Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:32 pm by MMM60s-LM
That is an interesting point Ranma Senchi.

I hope you will add some good Colleen Corby pictures here with a link back to your own website. You have a wonderful collection of images of this true Supermodel, Colleen Corby.
Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 pm by RanmaSenshi
Thanks Linda. First I have to complete the basic structure of my site before I try to draw viewers. I still have blank pages there. Though I admit I have been getting a steady stream of viewers ever since the site appeared on Google just two weeks after I created it. That's a far cry from my MSN site which, for some reason, never appeared on Google.
Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 am by MMM60s-SC
Hi Ranma,

How good to hear from you! No, I'm not 100% sure about the dates of the Model Composite cards. They were originally posted on the MSN site, but I don't know by whom. The images clearly have different dates, but one could easily be a mistake. Perhaps Model History could solve the mystery. The photos from the November 1973 Bazaar are from my personal collection, so I know that information is correct.

Keep up the great work on your web site!

Susan Camp

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 pm by RanmaSenshi
It's good to hear from you too, Susan. Thanks! I keep plodding away at my site slowly but steadily. LOL

As to the composite cards - I'm fairly certain Model History was the original uploader. I think both cards are from the same composite for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the first card has just Colleen's name on it and no other information. That makes me think it's just a cover photo for the second card. Also, if you compare the first card with the rightmost photo on the second card, Colleen's face looks virtually identical in both shots. She's even lifting her hair the same way. (LOL) And lastly, the text on the second card (you have to enlarge the image to see it clearly) names the "front cover" photographer (it looks like it says Jim Hadley), while the three photos on the second card all have the name of their respective photographers printed on each picture. So I think both cards must be from the same composite.

The Enquirer article is from October 1978, so the photos could be from that year or a little earlier. I don't know if models make a new composite every year.
MMM60s-LM
Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:52 am by MMM60s-LM
I believe you ae right. I remember these cards when MH uploaded them. I am just not sure of the date, but it seems to me it was 1976. Coleen was trying to be more igh fashion. She still had tons of catalog customers but was no longer suitable for Seventeen. She did a little Bazaar, never any Vogue editorial.
Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:18 pm by MMM60s-SC
Hi Ranma and Linda,

I changed the date on the card in question to 1976 and put the two cards together in the same row. They do seem to be from the same composite. I'll bet there was just a simple typographical error when the images were originally uploaded.

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

Susan Camp

MMM60s-LM
Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:08 pm by MMM60s-LM
It is so nice to hear from Ranma again. We should pay more attention to Colleen. After all she was a supermodel. I reread the Newsweek article on jean Shrimpton and Colleen Corby was mentioned as a possible successor.
MMM60s-LM
Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:02 pm by MMM60s-LM

Colleen Corby ~ From Teen Model to High Fashion Model

Page 1 of 1