MODEL HALL OF FAME - Visual History - Vintage Fashion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MODEL HALL OF FAME - Visual History - Vintage Fashion

Oral and Visual History Initiative MMM60s MODEL HISTORY and VINTAGE FASHION

HomeLog inRegisterSearchLatest images
Click> HOME
HOME PAGE
Linda’s MEMOIRS

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MMM60s-SC

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Empty
PostModel History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen

This multi-page Celanese ad from the November 1966 Seventeen magazine was a take-off on British rock stars being pursued by their female fans in The Great Autograph Chase. Stephani Cook (Jenny) and Sue Murray wear mod Datesetter minidresses as they follow Campbelle Camp and Chick Noodle through European discos:

(NOTE FROM SUE MURRAY:

Hi Linda and Susan,
Sunny Griffin alerted me to this post, thank you both and
thank you Sunny. The male model in the series was Alexis Waldeck, he
modeled for Bob Richardson quite a lot before becoming a photographer
himself. Alexis and I had fun working together non professionally as he
experimented with photography. I would love to post a small sketch I did
of him, if that is possible and also one or two of our shots. Bob
Richardson
was the photographer for these ads.
Sue)

below: Susan's sketch of Alexis Waldeck

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Alexis10

http://www.minimadmod60s.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=24172

http://www.minimadmod60s.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7143

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Blog_Celanese_1966_Nov_17_45_StephaniC_SueM

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Blog_Celanese_1966_Nov_17_46_StephaniC_SueM

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Blog_Celanese_1966_Nov_17_47_StephaniC_SueM

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Blog_Celanese_1966_Nov_17_48_StephaniC_SueM

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Blog_Celanese_1966_Nov_17_49_StephaniC_SueM

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Blog_Celanese_1966_Nov_17_50_StephaniC_SueM

Susan Camp
Senior Editor & Archivist

Biographical Notes:
L. Morand

Sue Murray was one of the biggest models in London
in the Sixties. She was born in Bournemouth, England and raised in India and Sri Lanka. She knew early in life that she wanted to paint and was fortunate in having access to the traditions of Western painting through the good offices of a member of the British Royal Academy, while living in Sri Lanka. In the early 1960's Susan moved to London to pursue her studies at the Byam Shaw School of Art.

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Main.php?g2_view=core

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Main.php?g2_view=core

It was at this time that she accepted a Vogue contract and worked with such legendary photographers as David Bailey,
Bert Stern, Richard Avedon and Irving Penn, some of the greatest photographers of the day. The hectic and somewhat superficial life in New York, Paris and London led her back to India in quest of meditation in the Himalayas. Here Susan realized that she had not had time to acquire the grammar of painting.

Some of Sue Murray's Covers and Ads.

She studied classical painting techniques and today is an award-winningfine artist. Her museum quality paintings can be seen at:

http://www.smstokes.com/

She goes by the name Susan Stokes.

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Chair10

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen :: Comments

Hi Linda and Susan,
Sunny alerted me to this post, thank you both and thank you Sunny. The male model in the series was Alexis Waldeck, he modeled for Bob Richardson quite a lot before becoming a photographer himself. Alexis and I had fun working together non professionally as he experimented with photography. I would love to post a small sketch I did of him, if that is possible and also one or two of our shots. Bob Richardson was the photographer for these ads.
Sue
Dear Sue:

Thank you so much for that information. Thank you for allowing us to use your images. I am so in awe of your paintings. Your natural talent and years of study under the Masters have resulted in an amazing body of work.

Please post anything you like. We are so delighted when the models do. Who knows better than you what really went on. We have been fortunate to have had the cooperation of many models and plan to do stories and features of their work. We are so grateful for the input of such iconic Mod Models as yourself, Sunny Griffin, Kecia Nyman, Willy van Rooy, Moyra Swan, Ulla Anderson, Pam Barkentin and Terry Reno.

There are many other great 50s and 60s models who helped in the beginning including Dolores Hawkins, Mona Grant,Joan Thompson, Gail Reaben, Susan Brainard and I know I am leaving several out, but this is just off the top of my head. Or their families that have helped by sending photos and providing information, including the children of Wallis Franken, Cathee Dahmen and Carol Singleton, Suzy Parker and many more. Their pictures and stories are so much fun to read.

We are cutting back on our acquisition of images and now featuring them with back stories.

We would all be delighted with anything you might say. We are so happy to here who the photographers and other models are. It is nice to see the other people around the image remembered and credited.

As you know, MMM60s was started as a sort of informal fan site for the models and so many donors failed to put the information about who the creatives were. But they did get the names of the models and the dates. That was then, this is now. I just love to look at the images and remember the energy of the Mod days in New York, Paris and London. Superficial yes, but still a lot of fun.

Thankfully, there are more archivists posting more pictures from Vogue and other magazines on Facebook and other sites. Many of the 60s models are identified because of our archives and the world can get more information.

So many people who were household names in the 60s are not properly recorded in the history of modeling and fashion. If George Washington was not on the Internet, most of the kids today would not know who he was. Everything is digital. Thank goodness for eter Marlowe who has cataloged most of the models for whom he printed comp cards. www.modelscomposites.com/

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen Christ10

We have come along way in seeing the 60s and 70s remembered.than when we started in 2006 in MSN Groups. Hundreds of people sent in images. I sure miss that site. It was much more fun than Facebook.

If you do not know how to post pictures in this forum you can email them to me. My email address is on Facebook and I will send it in a private message here.

Many good things are in store for the 60s and 70s an 80s girls, (now vibrant and talented women in their 50s, 60s and 70s), because of this visual revelation of the fashion world of the 60s and beyond. There is a lot of interest in this age group now.

Can't wait to see the sketch.

Model History: Sue Murray & Stephani Cook ~ The Great Autograph Chase ~ 1966 Seventeen

Page 1 of 1